Cayman has been a very lucky baby to go 13 plus months without any issues with diaper rash, until now. As we all know, when a baby has a tummy virus, it can quickly escalate into some seriously painful diaper rash. So, when Cayman instantly developed a horrible rash, I asked for advice from my fellow Mommy friends from a Facebook group I belong to. All of the Mommies in my group have babies born the same month as Cayman, so its been a wonderful journey as we all figure out this motherhood thing together.
There was a general consensus that I should avoid using traditional store bought baby wipes on Cayman while he has this rash and instead I should use plain paper towels with water. It sounded like a great idea until I tried it. I had two major issues. First of all, it still seemed harsh on his skin because the paper towels weren’t very soft. Secondly, it was very inconvenient in the middle of the night to wet paper towels in the sink. So, I decided I needed to figure out how to make my own chemical free wipes.
After hunting around on the internet and trying a few different combinations, I came up with a recipe that seems to work great for us and as I figure, the cost is less than one cent per wipe.
Here’s what you will need:
- 3 Tablespoons – Dr. Bronner’s Magic Castile Lavender Liquid Soap
- 1 Tablespoon – Witch Hazel
- 1 Tablespoon – Olive Oil
- 1 Roll of Brawny Paper Towels Cut in Half (Do not use cheap brand)
- 1 Plastic Folgers Coffee Container
- 2 Cups of Filtered Water
- Cut roll of paper towels in half using a serrated knife
- Remove Cardboard Roll
- Place 1/2 Roll of Paper Towels in Coffee Container
- Heat up water in saucepan
- Mix castile soap, witch hazel, olive oil with warm water in a separate bowl
- Pour over top of paper towels
- Place coffee container lid on and turn upside down to make sure that the paper towels are evenly soaked with solution
- Pull up wipes from the center of roll to dispense easily
…and there you have truly all natural wipes that will heal and sooth even the most painful of diaper rashes.
Ingredients in Bronner’s Magic Castile Soap:
Water, Organic Coconut Oil*, Potassium Hydroxide**, Lavandin Extract, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Lavender Extract, Citric Acid, Tocopherol
* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENT
** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin