There is nothing more endearing and courageous than honesty. It means to tell the story with our whole heart without leaving out our imperfections. The truth is powerful and freeing. I believe we connect on our deepest levels through our willingness to be authentic. What makes us vulnerable is also what makes us beautiful. The truth is not comfortable but it’s also not excruciating. It’s just necessary.
It’s strange because vulnerability seems to be the core of fear and shame and our struggle for worthiness but it also appears to be the birthplace of joy, creativity and of belonging and love.
“Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov
This is the trailer for Post Secrets. It’s a surprising close up of what it looks and feels like when telling a stranger a secret.
“A fight is going on inside me,” said an old man to his son. “It is a terrible fight between two wolves. One wolf is evil. He is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
The other wolf is good. he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you.”
The son thought about it for a minute and then asked,
“Which wolf will win?”
The old man replied simply,
“The one you feed.”
See! That wasn’t so excruciating.
Now it’s your turn. What’s your secret? Go ahead!
- Tuesday Truthday – What I look like in the morning (wildgeesethatfly.com)
- Tuesday Truthday – Mad as Hell! (wildgeesethatfly.com)
- Tuesday Truthday – Remember Who You Are (wildgeesethatfly.com)
- Tuesday Truthday – Choose Your Own Adventure (wildgeesethatfly.com)
- Tuesday Truthday – Spread the Joy (wildgeesethatfly.com)
- It is pleasant to take offense (caritasestveritas.wordpress.com)
- Infertility Awareness and Support (resolve.org)